Thursday, May 7, 2009

Direct Care Worker Wages Bill, LD 1364, Carried Over

The work session on LD 1364, the wages bill for direct care workers, was last Thursday, April 30th. I am very happy to report that the bill was carried over to next session. This means that it is not dead, right in committee. I take this as a small victory. Again, a little bump in that uphill climb to gain better wages for workers. Health and Human Services Co-Chair Senator Brannigan mentioned LD 1059 in his comments. That was pleasing in that the HHS Committee is aware of the insurance bill. Senator Brannigan said that maybe the two bills could be combined, providing better pay and health insurance to workers. I had that same thought when I was in Washington D.C. with the Direct Care Alliance earlier in the week. It is kind of scary when a committee chair-person thinks the same way I do! It appears to me that both bills may compete for the same Medicaid enhanced reimbursement. I would hate for one bill to get shot down because the other won the funding. They should go hand-in-hand. This is an idea I have not mentioned further to those on the Direct Care Worker Coalition yet. I figure with both bills carried over, I can buy a little time and work on follow-up with Maine's congressional delegation on the issues that the Direct Care Alliance raised with our legislative visits. Again, good news on the wages bill. It is carried over to next session. It is not dead! Thanks to my co-workers and colleagues for being at 1364's hearing! We could not have won the small victory without you!

No comments: