Thursday, August 6, 2009

Enough to Sign

In the “A Better Union Bill” editorial (BDN, July 23), the paper rehashes the worn-down stereotype of a key provision of the employee free choice act — majority sign-up. When I enlisted in the U.S. Navy, and later the U.S. Army, I signed my name both times. When I bought a car, I needed to sign on the dotted line. No one questioned my choices. I was not coerced nor tricked into fighting for my country, nor buying a car. The BDN correctly recognized the stalling, abuse and harassment that workers often face when forming a union, so why not recognize my signature as proof that I want a union? Majority sign-up is based on a simple idea: If a majority of workers say that they want a union, they should get a union. The Employee Free Choice Act also allows workers to form a union through a ballot election, but the point is that workers are in control, not the boss. The editorial needlessly questioned the status of majority signup in Congress. Majority sign-up is alive and well because it restores balance and is the best way for workers to form a union freely and fairly, without intimidation or harassment. Speculating on what may be part of a bill that has yet to be introduced is both fruitless and counterproductive. Congress must vote on majority sign-up because we desperately need legislation to level the playing field for working people. Ted Rippy Brewer Ted is 771's secretary. His letter was published in the August 1, 2009 edition of the Bangor Daily News. GO TED!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been in search of such interesting Articles, I am on a holiday its good to see that everyone are trying their best to keep up the Spirit by having such great articles posted.

Cheers, Keep it up.
___________________
Susana
We do your Marketing for best sales