Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Breakfast for Legislators at Food and Medicine in Brewer, Maine - February 20, 2010

The turnout was excellent; it turned into a standing room only situation.  There we were a sampling of an American community doing what America does better than any other culture or civilization that has ever existed on this planet.  We had a question and answer forum composed of leading Maine elected officials, and people, mostly activists, and community leaders concerned with community and state issues.

Present among the senators were; Senator Elizabeth Schneider, and Senator Richard Rosen:  Representatives were; Representative Adam Goode,  Representative Dick Blanchard, Representative Jim Martin, Representative John Piotti, Representative David Richardson, Representative Jim Schatz, and Representative Emily Caine, a member of the Appropriations Committee.

Jack McKay, Eastern Maine Labor Council President, welcomed everyone, and opened the session by introducing Laura Binger, coordinator for Food and Medicine.  Barbara Lambarada was the timekeeper, who gave a signal for all speakers after four minute presentations from the floor.  Barbara waved a colored flag to call time, if the speaker went too far over, Barbara had a wooden log that she assured us would stop the speaker.  We all knew the wooden log was only a laughing point, but few took a chance on going over the limit.

Laura Binger laid out the ground rules, and introduced the speakers.  The legislators had been briefed on the topics, but not the specifics.  When I was asked to present questions or concerns, I stated that I am not a politician, nor do I carry around statistics in my head, and with a four minute statement of my concerns could I touch on but little.

I spoke about one of the issues that I have recently been involved in, because of giving testimony in support of Representative Matt Peterson, LD 1078, a bill to improve conditions for consumers of home health care, and activities of daily living, and advocacy for direct care workers. 

I had worked on a task force that was called to implement that bill because it had already been signed into law.  Our job on the task force was to work on specifics to see what the improvements would look like. Coincidently I and my fellow workers who had done the work were at a session the following week with the Department of Human Services heads as they presented our report to the Health and Human Services Committee. 

One interesting point in all of this is two of my co-workers on this task force also attended the Voices institute, the significance being that I am also a graduate of the Voices Institute. I truly felt an air of empowerment at this breakfast. 

I requested the senators and legislators to support representative Matt Peterson in his efforts with his bills concerning consumers of in home health care services, and professionalization of home health care workers.

One of my last statements I needed to admit sounded almost egotistical, but there was truth when I stated that “if I ever found myself in need of help from direct care staff, I hope that they have as much knowledge as I possess, at the present time, due to experience, and training.  I believe that there was a little apprehension until we saw the department of Human Services presenting our work at the State Capitol.

The visit to the state capitol was a sort of continuation and anticlimax to that breakfast which I felt honored to attend. The two union members that I would like to mention are Dee Dee Strout, President of Maine PASA, and Helen Hanson, President of Local 771, of which I am Secretary. We all three are graduates of The Voices Institute.

submitted by Theodore Rippy, March 2, 2010

No comments: