Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What's Happening. . .

Today is a big day. We are starting our working sessions with Mila Kofman, Maine's Superintendent of Insurance, to look into pooling direct care workers in Maine for group health insurance. I am very excited about this! I am going to use the Coke case when they ask me what makes direct care workers so different from other workers. And, later today, the Kennebec Valley Organization is holding a Delegate Assembly to have delegates vote on healthcare reform proposals that KVO supports and then the healthcare team will bring forth to members to the State Legislature and Congress with the upcoming election. Get this, I'm co-chairing this event!! I'm excited about the work we're doing. I got a call last night from an SEIU organizer from Local 503 in Oregon who is gathering names of doctors, nurses, cna's, direct care workers, etc. to unite them to push forward healthcare reform at the federal level. He's going to get in touch with more information. I think SEIU is calling it HealthCare United. If any of you are interested in this united front, please let me know. I'll keep you posted as to how all this goes and the progress made.

1 comment:

Thomas Maher said...

Where do you get the energy? Keep it up Helen, this is what built strong Unions in the "old days". We will have a new president in 2009, and Mr. Obama will do his best for all of us. A congress with no shrub at the top will be able to get things done.
Please keep it up.