Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ted Rippy and his experiences at the Voices Institute 2009

My experience at the Voices Institute left me feeling very empowered. I was already feeling a sense of accomplishment working with Helen Hanson, who is the president of our union, Local 771 Msea-Seiu, Direct Care Workers. As secretary of the same local, Helen took me under her wing, she having been one of the first graduates of Voices Institute recruited me for the next Voices Institute class.
One of my reasons for already feeling empowered is I had already been involved in testifying before the Department of Health and Human Services, and Maine Senators on bills to further the well being of Direct care workers, and consumers. I need to say at this point I had no clue as to where all of these things were heading. Helen at first had mentioned the Direct Care Alliance to me, it seemed to me only in conversation.
We attended a union meeting one day where Helen told me that she was supposed to attend a focus group for the Direct Care Aalliance, in Chicago, but something had come up, and would I fill in for her. I started right from that point being involved with the Direct Care Alliance. At another union meeting I was nominated as a candidate to attend Voices Institute. Attending the Voices Institute was one of, if not the most meaningful experiences that I ever had. That light bulb of comprehension flickered on in my brain and I became aware that I had been actually furthering the cause of direct care workers and consumers by being involved with a graduate of Voices Institute. The Dekoven Center at Racine, Wisconsin is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. I truly feel honored and fortunate to have attended.
One last, but very important thing I need to say is that I met some of the most dynamic people on this planet, and I know that we as a group of graduates from the Voices Institute are now and forever a force to be reckoned with in the advancement of direct care work.
Theodore, (TED), Rippy

No comments: