Saturday, September 6, 2008

Home Care for Maine lost Its bid for the Homemaking Contract

I got word Thursday morning that we lost the contract to Catholic Charities of Maine. Home Care for Maine's board of directors and MSEA-SEIU is urging HCM's ceo to appeal the decision. What this means for HCM workers is that if you are a homemaker, you will no longer work for HCM. Catholic Charities will be the sole provider of homemaking services throughout the state. The contract with Catholic Charities starts up on October 1st. I don't know if it is an automatic shift from HCM to Catholic Charities for workers or if we need to apply for the job with Catholic Charities. If you've got questions, I urge you to bombard MSEA-SEIU headquarters and let our field reps know what you think. The number for headquarters is 1-800-452-8794. Our field reps are Rod Hiltz and Owen Sullivan. Owen's extension is 1129. He is our new field rep. I urge you to call him.

1 comment:

Thomas Maher said...

I am saddened to hear the news about HCM. This may be the last contract lost due possibly to a company being able to cheat their employees and low ball a bid.
I am hoping that before October the EFCA will pass and the new company will be unionized in short order.
I know that is small comfort to someone who may be looking forward to losing a job in the fall but maybe HCM will challenge.
I hope this works out, your members have put in too much good service to the public to be treated this way.