Monday, September 15, 2008

Home Care of Maine has filed its Appeal for the Homemaking Contract

I got word on Friday that Home Care for Maine filed the appeal for the Homemaking Contract. This grants HCM workers a little more time with their homemaking consumers. I don't know what the process is now or how long it takes, once the appeal is filed. Last Thursday, I gathered up a team of co-workers and we called members of Home Care for Maine's board of directors to let them know that the appeal should be filed. We mentioned the loss of work, but more importantly, what the changeover would mean to consumers. Many of my own consumers don't like the possible change. They are used to receiving quality services from the workers at Home Care for Maine. I urged those consumers that strongly oppose receiving services from Catholic Charities to call the Office of Elder Services at 1-800-262-2232 and the Ombudsman (the watchdog for elders) at 1-800-499-0229 to voice their concerns and what the changes mean for them. As you're talking with your consumers, please do the same. Get them to contact OES or the Ombudsman or even their representative. As I know more, I'll post it.

No comments: